What You’ll Learn:
- Our 10 favorite color combinations of daffodils.
- Cultivar examples of each of our favorite color combos.
- Where to buy some of these bulbs to plant next fall season.
What is it about daffodils that you love so much? They come in a wide range of shapes and sizes and there are hundreds of different types available on the market. Some are even scented. For us, the variety of colors and color combinations available are what we love.
In our DIY Garden Minute Ep. 63 – “Best Daffodil Colors For Your Garden” we’ll discuss 10 of our favorite daffodil color combinations with examples for each.
This episode is meant for any level of gardener wanting to learn more about the daffodils in their garden or trying to figure out which bulbs to plant next fall season.
Who doesn’t love daffodils?
One of the first flowers to bloom in the spring, these plants are absolutely gorgeous and will give your garden that “POP” you need after the long, cold winter.
Daffodils are available in single, double, or multi-color options.
Here are our top 10 favorite daffodil flower colors for your garden:
- Solid Yellow – This is one of the two classic colors for Daffodils. This is the widely recognized Trumpet Daffodil and ‘Arctic Gold’ is a good example.
- Solid White – This is the second of the two classic colors for Daffodils. This is also the widely recognized Trumpet Daffodil and ‘Mount Hood’ is a great example.
- The White/Yellow Combo – Now this could be either a yellow center with white outer petals or a white center with yellow outer petals. An example of this is the ‘Bravoure’ Trumpet Daffodil.
- The Triple Combo – This is from the old fashioned Poet Narcissus or Poeticus-Daffodil where the flower has yellow centered petals with red edges and then white outer flower petals. Examples of this are ‘Actaea’ or ‘Pheasant’s Eye’.
- The White/Pink Combo – Now this is a Large-Cupped Daffodil with white outer petals and the inner flower is pink. A good example of this is ‘Salome’ of the Large-cupped Daffodils.
- The Lemon-Yellow/Gold Combo – This is a flower that has lemon-yellow outer petals and bright-gold center petals. Usually found in the Cyclamineus hybrids that grown only maybe 12-inches, tops.
- The Yellow/Red Combo – Now this is a flower with yellow outer petals and has red inner petals. Double Daffodil ‘Tahiti’ is the one to have for this color combo!
- The White/Orange Combo – This is a flower with white outer petals having orange inner petals. A great example of this is the ‘Barrett Browning’ Small-cupped Daffodil.
- Yellow/White Combo – Now this is a flower having yellow outer petals and having white inner petals. This s a great example of the ‘Pipit’ Jonquilla hybrid.
- Yellow/Orange Combo – This is a flower having yellow outer petals and having orange inner petals. Two wonderful examples of this are ‘Falconet’ and ‘Scarlet Gem’, both Tazetta Daffodils.
For more information about Daffodils in general, check out Daffodils: A Gardener’s Guide and Plant Profile.
Once daffodil bulbs are planted, they require very little attention or maintenance.
In general, follow these basic care requirements:
- Make sure that the soil is well drained
- They need full sun while blooming and partial shade afterward
- Regular watering when they are growing and during bloom time
- Remove spent flowers once they have withered (but don’t remove the rest of the plant until it turns brown)
Daffodils For Sale
Based on our list above, below are examples of each color combo with a direct link to purchase from Eden Brothers or Amazon.
- Solid Yellow – Example: ‘Dutch Master’
- Solid White – Example: ‘Mount Hood’
- White/Yellow Combo – Example: ‘Orangery’
- Triple Combo – Example: ‘Recurvus’
- White/Pink Combo – Example: ‘Salome’, Pink Mix
- Lemon-Yellow/Gold Combo – Example: Cyclamineus hybrids
- Yellow/Red Combo – Example: Double Daffodil ‘Tahiti’
- White/Orange Combo – Example: ‘Barrett Browning’
- Yellow/White Combo – Example: ‘Pipit’ Jonquilla hybrid
- Yellow/Orange Combo – Example: Tazetta Daffodils ‘Fortune’
Or, do you need to shop for other garden plants for this spring? Click here for the most up to date deals and plants on Amazon!
Share our show or follow us on
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Checkout and Pre-Order our New Book: 1st Time Gardener: Growing Plants and Flowers.
To Be Released February 9th, 2021!
Want to get started, but not sure on what? Go to our Start-Here Page!