Planting iris bulbs can be easy with the proper know-how. Create a vibrant, spring-blooming display of colorful Irises with our easy to follow steps.
Fall is the perfect time to plant your spring-blooming bulbs and you cannot wait to get started. Luckily for you, with Iris bulbs you can start planting even earlier! The problem is you’re unsure how to plant bulbs and don’t want to risk planting them incorrectly or they might not bloom next spring.
From Bearded Iris to Dutch Iris to Siberian Iris, you’ll find out quick tips about how to plant your bulbs correctly. (For a more in-depth bulb planting guide, you might be interested in checking this out).
In this podcast (and on the page below), learn quick tips for planting your spring-blooming Iris bulbs as well as tools and supplies you may need to get started and resources to help you begin your bulb-planting journey!
In “Planting Iris Bulbs” – DIY Garden Minute 107 – learn how to plant your spring-blooming Iris bulbs this fall. This episode is meant for any level of gardener who wants to learn bulb-planting tips and more.
If you’re looking for a great, easy-to-grow Iris bulb to order and plant now, there are so many beautiful options to choose from! Do you prefer tall Irises? Multi-colored? Purple? Fragrant?These multi-colored Bearded Iris bulbs would be perfect for your garden because they offer vibrant color, variety, and tons of interest. Plus, they’re deer-resistant! Plant them this fall for a spring-blooming frenzy of color!
Next, read on to learn about bulb planting or jump to the section you need:
- Planting fall bulbs
- How to plant Iris bulbs
- Best multi-colored Iris bulbs
- Best deer-resistant Iris bulbs
- Best fragrant Iris bulbs
- Tools and supplies for planting bulbs
- Bulb planting videos
Planting Fall Bulbs
There are lots of tasks to perform in the fall and planting spring-flowering bulbs in the fall should be one of your primary tasks. Spring-flowering bulbs can provide an explosion of color from mid to late winter and into spring.
Here are some quick general tips for planting any of your bulbs this fall:
- Find a suitable location. Research the bulb’s climactic and sun needs.
- Plant each bulb in the correct orientation. They do have a definite top and bottom. Look for the pointy tipped top and roots on the bottom.
- Plant each bulb species at the correct depth. Larger bulbs like Daffodils or Tulips, along with smaller bulbs like Crocus or Grape Hyacinth, need to be planted at a depth of 2 to 3 times the bulb’s height and spaced 2-times the width of the bulb.
- You could add some bulb fertilizer to your newly dug hole. This fertilizer is what we recommend for the task.
- You can add a thin layer of mulch on top of your soil as part of the soil-planting depth or you could end up planting them too deep and you won’t see them next spring.
- Be sure to plant bulbs 6-8 weeks before the ground freezes. It’s ok if the night temps are 40-50° for planting.
Popular bulbs to plant this fall are:
- Grape Hyacinth
How to Plant Iris Bulbs
Irises are arguably one of the most beautiful spring-flowering plants. If you are thinking about adding them to your garden, then you should think about getting them planted anytime between July and September, as this is the prime time to do so with night-time temps at or above 40-50° F.
Iris planting steps:
- Find the right location with at least 6 hours of sunlight a day.
- Dig a shallow planting hole about 4 inches deep and 10 inches wide.
- Space each rhizome 1 to 2 feet apart and plant singly or in groups of three.
- Lay the rhizome horizontally at the base of the hole with the leaf-like end pointing down.
- Refill the planting hole where the Iris top is at or just above the soil level.
- Add some bulb fertilizer.
- Water thoroughly.
Best 3 Iris Bulbs to Plant This Fall
If you’re in the market for suggestions, these three Iris options below would be perfect for you. All three will bloom in next spring’s garden!
By the way, we only suggest products that we have used ourselves or that have been highly recommended by other gardeners or landscape professionals. For all the bulbs below, we have a deal for you through one of our favorite suppliers, Eden Brothers.
When you get to the Eden Brothers checkout, because we are affiliates (which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you which helps us run our website and podcast), use our special coupon code “SPOKEN” for an extra 15% off your order!!
First, enter SPOKEN into their coupon code box (just like the first photo). You will know you received the coupon if you see the “coupon applied” notice (see the second photo).
1) Best Multi-Colored Option = Bearded Iris Bulb Mix
This beautiful Iris bulb mix is amazing and full of color! This perennial mix would be perfect for you if you are looking for a lot of colors, variety, and tall flowers.
Choose from a multi-colored bag of 5, 10, or 25 bulbs to add to your landscape. Click the image or the “shop now” button below the image to find out more!
Re-Blooming Bearded Iris – Mix, Mixed, Ede…
Our fall-planted tall bearded iris mix is ideal for gardeners who enjoy rainbows of c… [More]
2) Best Deer-Resistant Option = Dutch Iris Bulbs ‘Lion King‘
Another great option for you would be these Dutch Iris bulbs. Really, the name of this variety just screams “add me to your garden!” These bulbs bloom in gorgeous hues of yellow, orange, and even purple and will grow to a height of almost 2 ft. tall!
Choose from a bag of 25, 50, or even 100 bulbs to add to your landscape. Oh, and of course, they are deer-resistant!
Dutch Iris Bulbs (Fall-Planted) – Lion Kin…
Dutch Iris Lion King. We’re guessing this is Simba’s favorite flower, maybe because its co… [More]
3) Best Fragrant Option = Re-Blooming Bearded Iris Bulbs ‘Clarence‘
This re-blooming Bearded Iris option would be perfect for you if you like tall, fragrant flowers. A huge bonus for this variety is they are also deer-resistant and slightly drought-tolerant.
These flowers will bloom in a gorgeous light blue and will grow to a height of almost 3 ft. tall! Choose from a bag of 2, 4, or 10 bulbs to add to your landscape (although you might need to double up or divide your bulbs because odd-numbered groupings generally look best in your landscape).
Re-Blooming Bearded Iris – Clarence, Blue,…
Winner of the prestigious Wister Medal. Fragrant; Deer Drought Resistant. Prefers Full … [More]
Bulb-Planting Tools and Supplies
There are so many ways to enhance your landscape with spring-blooming bulbs. Luckily, there are also several tools, supplies, and books that can help! Below we have gathered a few tools and supplies that we thought would be useful for you as you prepare to plant your garden bulbs this fall.
For example, this Tabor Tools 3-piece bulb planting tool set is perfect for your bulb planting tasks. This sturdy tool set includes a bulb planter, a dibber, and a transplanter. The premarked depths on the planter make it really easy to ensure the correct bulb-planting depth. Pick your 3-piece set today at the link below!
Other Recommended Supplies:
Bulb Planting Books
If you’re looking for further educational resources about all types of bulbs and other plants, these books below are great educational references!
The first book is one of our new eBooks which we’re so excited to show you! The two books below that can be found on Amazon at the links below.
Planting Garden Bulbs
Don’t gamble on your bulb’s chance of survival. Learn to plant it right the first time!
This mini eBook is chock full of helpful tips and tricks combined with our time-tested garden maintenance experience from over 20+ years of professional landscape experience. If you want to find out more about the book, check out this page.
American Horticultural Society Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers
This is a great reference guide for tons of different perennial and annual plants from the American Horticultural Society.
Floret Farm’s Cut Flower Garden: Grow, Harvest, and Arrange Stunning Seasonal Blooms
This book has stunning images, how-tos, and planting information to grow your own cutting garden. Learn what to do now so you are ready for spring and summer!
Video About Iris Care
In order to help you learn more about Irises, check out the video below. We hope it is helpful!
Conclusion for Planting Iris Bulbs
Irises will enhance your landscape in so many ways. With all the beautiful colors, sizes, and these Dutch Iris bulbs available, it has never been easier to find exactly what you want.
With our quick bulb planting tips, tool suggestions, and books you should be all ready to plant your Iris bulbs this fall!
Now we want to hear from you!
What questions do you have about planting any of your fall garden bulbs? Let us know by leaving a quick comment below. Thanks!
Bulb Planting References:
- Growing Irises – Old Farmer’s Almanac
- When to Plant Iris Bulbs – SFGate
That’s all for this DIY garden minute episode!
You can find other one-minute topics on our podcast page at spokengarden.com/podcast
Find us on Instagram or Pinterest to follow or leave us a comment. We would love to hear from you!
Also, find us on your favorite podcast platform and Alexa through MyPod or AnyPod.
And hey—before you head out—if you want to connect with us and subscribe to our newsletter go to Spoken Garden’s free resource page!
We have FREE garden content we are so excited to give to you, like cheat sheets, plant profile sheets, etc!
Thanks for Listening!!!
Share Your Thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Leave comments/ suggestions at Seanandallison@eseospace.dev
- Share our show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To Help Out The Show:
- Leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us out!
- Subscribe on iTunes or Spotify.
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Planting Iris bulbs this fall can be easy with the proper know-how. Create a vibrant, spring-blooming display of colorful Irises with our easy to follow steps.
Subscribe on iTunes
Planting Iris Bulbs
In this podcast, you’ll learn how to plant your Iris bulbs for a beautiful spring garden!
Free Fall Gardening chapter from our ebook, “Four-Season Gardening”.
What You’ll Learn:
- Tips and best practices for planting your fall bulbs.
- Recommendations for beautiful Iris bulbs to purchase.
- Links for further resources or education.
Some of the resources and products below may be affiliate links, meaning we might get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Planting Garden Bulbs eBook – (Learn about the 5 types of bulbs and how to plant each)
- Daffodil: Gardener’s Guide and Plant Profile
- Fall Bulb Planting, Explained- DIY Garden Minute Ep. 15
- Fall Bulb Planting, Explained – DIY Garden Minute Ep. 15
Other Gardening Products Related To This Podcast You Might Not Have:
- Drought-Tolerant Supplies Kit
- White Clover Cover Crop
- Orbit Water Timer
- Gilmour Soaker Hose
- RTS Rain Barrel