Learn Black-eyed Susan plant care tips (and the tools and supplies to help care for them below) on this quick garden minute podcast.
Subscribe on iTunes Stitcher Spotify
Watch Us on YouTube
Black-eyed Susan Care: A Mini Plant Profile
In this podcast, you’ll learn how to properly care for your Black-eyed Susan plants and what their needs are to thrive in your garden.
What You’ll Learn:
- How to care for your Black-eyed Susan plants.
- Tools and supplies (below) you’ll need to care for them.
- Resources and links for more information.
Some of the resources and products below may be affiliate links, meaning we might get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Drought-Tolerance Defined – DIY Garden Minute Ep.106 (podcast)
- Checkout and Pre-Order our New Book: 1st Time Gardener: Growing Plants and Flowers. To Be Released February 9th, 2021!
- Want to get started, but not sure on what? Go to our Start-Here Page!
Black-eyed Susan Plant Care
Black-eyed Susans start growing in the spring and can flower from mid-summer to early fall with lots of color variations to brighten up your garden!
They are one of the easier plants to care for (tools and supplies below) and here are quick care tips to help them thrive in your garden this summer.
Are considered a biennial or short-lived perennial.
Are in the Daisy family of plants, Asteraceae.
Flowers come in colors of yellow or orange ray petals with a central raised cone either black or dark brown.
Blooms from mid-summer to early fall.
Grow in USDA Hardiness zones 3 to 9.
They can grow up to 3 to 4 feet tall and 1 ½ feet wide.
They prefer full sun.
They like well-draining soil.
These plants need moderate to regular watering.
Descended from wild plants native to the Eastern and Central US.
Require little care and are drought tolerant. Deadhead them to encourage late season flowering and divide them when they start to get crowded with each other or with other surrounding plants.
And that’s your Mini Plant Profile.
Tools and Supplies to Care for Your Black-eyed Susan Plants
Tools and Supplies:
If you aren’t sure where to start learning about garden care, go to our Start Here page at spokengarden.com/start-here .
And, if you have questions about general plant and flower care, we are here to help, so please email us.
Thanks for Listening!!!
That’s all for this podcast episode! You can find other beginning gardener topics on our podcast page by clicking here or go to SpokenGarden.com and click on the “Listen” tab. Also find us on your favorite podcast platform and smart speaker!
If you want to know more about growing plants and flowers, check out our new book The First-Time Gardener: Growing Plants and Flowers: All the Know-how you need to plant and tend outdoor areas using eco-friendly methods.
You can pre-order now so you get your copy on our release date of February 9th, 2021.
Share Your Thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Leave comments/ suggestions at Seanandallison@eseospace.dev
- Share our show or follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To Help Us Out:
- Leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us reach new listeners to help them in their gardens!
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.