Now that winter season is here, your plants are probably well into their dormancy cycles. How can you best protect them and help them receive nutrients over the winter so they are ready to burst with growth in the spring? In “Winter Garden Fertilizing, Simplified,” you’ll hear a quick explanation of why you should fertilize now. Listen to our quick segment on this “DIY Garden Minute” to learn about simple steps you can take to prep your yard for spring. This episode is for beginning gardeners who want to learn how to maintain their yards through the winter months.
Winter FertilizerFertilizing needs to be a part of your garden maintenance plan year round, but you should definitely fertilize for the Winter. Without fertilizer, how will your plants continue to grow their roots or receive nutrients over the winter? These plants need to stay healthy over the winter and remain ready to burst with growth in the spring. Here are some quick tips to help with fertilizing your plants for winter and links to products we use and recommend:
- Tip 1: Spreading and working compost into your garden soil
- Tip 2: Apply winter formulated fertilizer for your lawn or turf
- Tip 3: Tree fertilizer-spikes
And hey—before you head out—if you want to connect with us and subscribe to our newsletter go to Spoken Garden’s free resource page! We have FREE garden content we are so excited to give to you, like cheat sheets, plant profile sheets, etc! See you there!
Thanks for Listening!!!
Share Your Thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Leave comments/ suggestions at Seanandallison@eseospace.dev
- Share our show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To Help Out The Show:
- Leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us out!
- Subscribe on iTunes or Spotify.
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Subscribe on iTunes
Winterize Garden FertilizingLearn why now is a great time to fertilize your yard and how you can get it done.
Downloads:Show Notes Pruning Cheat Sheet at our Free Resources Page
What You’ll Learn:
- A brief explanation of why fertilizing your yard for the winter season is beneficial.
- Tips to help you fertilize properly.
Resources:Some of the resources and products below may be affiliate links, meaning we might get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase
- How to Best Prune Your Garden This Winter
- Ep. 26: Fall Garden Planting, Transplanting, and Fertilizing
- DIY Garden Minute Ep. 31: Garden Gifts for Dirt Lovers!
- DIY Garden Minute Ep. 25: Garden Soil Amendment Do’s and Don’ts
Products Related To This Podcast:Tools/Supplies to Store
- Best pruning shears
- Hand saw: folding or fixed
- Blower: hand-held or backpack, gas or electric
- Leaf Rake: metal or plastic
- Hard Rake: metal
- Pitch Fork