Enhance your summer garden plans with these five garden maintenance tips so you can care for your yard while you’re on vacation (or any time of year).
Summer is the time to kick back, relax, and try to automate as much of your garden maintenance as possible.
However, what happens to your maintenance routine when you have a vacation planned? Do you leave it to chance, or plan ahead?
The good news is your summer garden planning can be implemented easily with our suggestions below.
Vacation with the peace of mind that you can return to a healthy, thriving yard, even while you’re away.
In “Stress-Free Summer Garden Planning” – DIY Garden Minute Ep. 100 – learn ideas for how to maintain your yard during vacation (or any time of year).
This episode is meant for any gardener who is looking for quick, efficient summer gardening ideas.
If you’re looking to automate one thing in your yard right now, definitely invest in a water timer and a drip hose. You can set up a watering schedule to take care of all your watering needs while you are away! We love our Orbit water timer and have one set up to water our backyard plants and vegetable garden areas.This specific water timer would be perfect for your garden any time of year! It is easy to set-up and will water your plants for however long you need.
Read on to learn about other tips for managing your garden while on vacation.
Summer Garden Planning
You need a plan of action for your garden so you don’t lose all your hard work.
Below are some ideas and an example of how to quickly roll it out before you leave and dive into your summer vacation
- Weed for about 10-15 minutes a day for 2-4 days before you leave on your trip.
- Clean up old blooms and withered plants around your garden for 5-10 minutes two or so days before your trip.
- Mulch around your plants and spread over older mulch by ½ to 1 inch.
- Stake plants that are almost ready to bloom.
- Automate your water system using drip hoses and water timer.
Setting up a watering system is essential so while you are away you can be sure that your plants are staying hydrated.
Listen to the podcast above for more information!
Summer Gardening Conclusion
Enjoy your vacation by implementing a good summer garden plan in advance.
Your plants will be happy, watered, and ready for you when you return home.
Now we want to hear from you!
Which ideas from our list are you considering for your garden?
Let us know by leaving a quick comment below. Thanks!
That’s all for this DIY garden minute episode!
You can find other one-minute topics on our podcast page at spokengarden.com/podcast
On Instagram or Pinterest under @SpokenGarden (all one word) to follow or leave us a comment.
Find us on your favorite podcast platform and Alexa through MyPod or AnyPod!
And hey—before you head out—if you want to connect with us and subscribe to our newsletter go to Spoken Garden’s free resource page!
We have FREE garden content we are so excited to give to you, like cheat sheets, plant profile sheets, etc!
Thanks for Listening!!!
Share Your Thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Leave comments/ suggestions at Seanandallison@eseospace.dev
- Share our show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To Help Out The Show:
- Leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us out!
- Subscribe on iTunes or Spotify.
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
If your summer garden plans don’t include how to care for your yard while on vacation, you need to listen to this podcast.
Subscribe on iTunes
Summer Garden Planning
In this podcast, learn how to prepare for any of your vacations without the fear of returning to a dead or dying yard full of plants.
Free Summer Gardening chapter from our newest ebook
What You’ll Learn:
- Five tips to add to your summer garden plans.
- Links for further resources or education.
Some of the resources and products below may be affiliate links, meaning we might get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Summer Gardening Free Chapter of eBook!
- Lavender: A Gardener’s Guide and Plant Profile
- Summer-Blooming Perennials For Shade – DIY Garden Minute Ep. 96
- Full Sun Perennials That Bloom All Summer – DIY Garden Minute Ep. 95
- Longest-Blooming Perennials For Your Summer Garden – DIY Garden Minute Ep. 99
Other Gardening Products Related To This Podcast You Might Not Have: