Learn the definition of square foot gardening and a few basics to get started.
Have you ever thought of how much food you could actually produce per square foot?
Square foot gardening is your answer and now is the time to give it a try!
In “Square Foot Gardening, Defined” – DIY Garden Minute Ep. 66 – we’ll explain what exactly square foot gardening is so you can determine if it’s a good fit for your needs.
This episode is meant for a beginner gardener who wants to understand the basics of square foot gardening.
What is Square Foot Gardening?
Square-foot gardening is a simplified and efficient way to garden especially if you are short on space and on time.
Basically, raised beds are used and sectioned off into grids. Each grid, or square, contains one type of vegetable in it.
These raised beds can be created in various sizes, such as:
- 4×4 ft bed
- 4×8 ft bed
Beds should be at least 6-12 inches deep for planting.
For example, you could plant numerous radishes in one square and then only one tomato plant in another.
Square Foot Gardening Books
This method of gardening was developed and published by Mel Bartholomew in his 1981 book Square Foot Gardening.
Another great book for beginners to small space gardening is “Grow All You Can Eat in 3 Square Feet: Inventive Ideas For Growing Food in Small Spaces”.
Square Foot Garden Conclusion
If you are brand new to square foot gardening, this method of planting crops could yield great results for you.
Give it a try! Especially if you want to grow vegetables but you’re low on space.
Now we want to hear from you!
Are you thinking about trying a square foot garden?
Let us know by leaving a quick comment below. Thanks!
That’s all for this DIY garden minute episode!
You can find other one-minute topics on our podcast page at spokengarden.com/podcast
Find us on your favorite podcast platform and Alexa through MyPod or AnyPod!
- “Square Foot Gardening” – Bonnie Plants
- “The Pros and Cons of Square Foot Gardening” – Good Housekeeping
And hey—before you head out—if you want to connect with us and subscribe to our newsletter go to Spoken Garden’s free resource page!
We have FREE garden content we are so excited to give to you, like cheat sheets, plant profile sheets, etc!
Thanks for Listening!!!
Share Your Thoughts:
- Leave a note in the comment section below.
- Leave comments/ suggestions at Seanandallison@eseospace.dev
- Share our show on Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest.
To Help Out The Show:
- Leave a review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help us out!
- Subscribe on iTunes or Spotify.
*Spoken Garden is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Learn the definition of square foot gardening.
Subscribe on iTunes
Square Foot Gardening
Learn how to grow as many different vegetable crops per square foot in your garden!
What You’ll Learn:
- The definition of square foot gardening method
- Why this gardening method might be useful
- How to set up your own square foot garden
Some of the resources and products below may be affiliate links, meaning we might get paid a commission (at no extra cost to you) if you use that link to make a purchase.
- Camellia: A Gardener’s Guide and Plant Profile
- Mulch Basics Explained! – DIY Garden Minute Ep. 7
- Top 7 Reasons Mulching Your Garden is Beneficial
- Best Pruning Shears For Any Gardener!
- Understanding Basic Plant Growth – DIY Garden Minute Ep. 30
Other Gardening Products Related To This Podcast You Might Not Have:
- Best pruning shears
- Hand saw: folding or fixed
- Blower: hand-held or backpack, gas or electric
- Leaf Rake: metal or plastic
- Hard Rake: metal